Klaus W. Grätz MD, DMD
Professor and Chair
Cranio-maxillofacial and oral surgery includes the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of diseases, injuries, fractures and deformities of the head, face, mouth, teeth, gums, jaws and neck. It involves both functional (chewing, swallowing, speaking) and aesthetic elements.
The Division of Cranio-Maxillo-Facial and Oral Surgery provides treatment for outpatients and inpatients with injuries, diseases or deformities of the mouth, jaw and facial area. Close cooperation with the Centre of Dental and Oral Medicine makes it possible to provide comprehensive and competent treatment. In addition to routine dento-alveolar surgeries, the department provides various specialized surgical treatments, such as tumor, orthodontic, craniofacial, preprothetic and implantology surgery. Patients with various stomatological and temporomandibular joint problems or with facial pain are treated either with medicinal methods or surgery. The inpatients are treated in the division`s ward in the University Hospital Zürich. In addition to clinical research, basic research is primarily in the area of tissue-regeneration.
Areas of Specialization:
- Correction of facial deformities an orthognathic surgery
- Tumor surgery and treatment of face and neck infections
- Trauma surgery and plastic and reconstructive surgery on the face
- Aesthetic and dental surgery including implantology
- Treatment of osteochemonecrosis
- Temporomandibular joint problems